Pattern review: Simplicity 8447 revisited

Hello sewing friends!

I have been busy making my second version of the Simplicity 8447 overalls. In 2019 I made a jeans version of these, and I have worn them so so much, I thought it was time for me to make another pair!

In my last review, I said I’d not be making another pair, as they took too long to make and they weren’t perfect. I have since improved my sewing skills a fair bit and it didn’t seem like such a challenging project, despite how many mistakes I made, that were definitely my fault and not the pattern’s.

This time around I made the overalls using a brown corduroy that is perfect for pumpkin picking, preparing pumpkin pie to peck on at a perfect picnic in the park, or participating in peaceful prairie perambulation.

While I had already made a pair of overalls with this pattern, I had not made notes of the alterations (other than what I had written about in my posts, which of course I forgot about, professional blogger here). I struggled to get the fit I wanted with these and had to unpick the waistband twice because I somehow managed to make it too big, and then far too small.

Despite all my issues, and a few bits that I am not entirely happy about (the crotch of the trousers sits too low and looks slightly odd), I am happy with these overall!

Next time I will actually make a toile, and take notes and modify the pattern. Despite my failure to do this last time and being annoyed at past me, I again didn’t do it this time round!

Hope you like these!

Until next time, happy sewing!

Pumpkin spice and all things nice

Hello my sewing friends!

I can’t believe it’s already October! I used to absolutely love autumn, with all the leaves changing colour and the cooler weather, which was very appreciated after the scorching Majorcan summer. Now that I’m in the UK, and particularly this year, I want to prolong the summer for as long as I can.

I figured, though, if we have to go into autumn, I might as well do it in style!

Today I wanted to share this dress I made for autumn, that makes me feel like I have achieved ultimate autumn-ness. Coffee? Check. Pumpkins? Check. Leaves? Check. Brown corduroy? Check.

I have been trying for a while to just sew clothing that I will wear regularly, and not just pretty dresses that will sit in my wardrobe, so I have been making lots of fairly simple line dresses, and I have been making the same self-drafted dresses over and over, changing just the neckline.

I talked about this pattern already in a previous blog post, and I just made the neckline lower.

Hope you all like it! See you all next time!

When life gives you lemons, make a lemon dress

Hello, sewing friends!

I have now started sewing my autumn projects, but I still have a couple more summer ones to share, just in time for the end of summer before it starts getting really rainy and chilly and the leaves start changing!

Today I wanted to show this 1950s dress. I made it using this stunning cotton sateen that I got for my birthday.

Quite unoriginally, I used my recently self-drafted all-in-one sleeve bodice, and my pencil skirt. I don’t actually have much to say about these as I have already talked extensively about both!

To complete the look, I was lucky enough to find this fab 1950s Juliette hat that matches the dress perfectly.

I hope you like it!

Watermelon dress

Hello again, sewing friends!

In my last blog post I talked about my successful attempt at pattern drafting a bodice with an all-in-one sleeve, and today I am sharing my summery version of the dress!

I love 1950s silhouettes, as I feel that the styles fit my hourglass shape; I have been trying to make myself some more accurate reproductions of 40s and 50s clothes, but I am a sucker for a good novelty print, so here we are!

While the print is not very historically accurate, I love how summery the dress looks!

Now all I need is some nice weather! I realise the summer is ending already, but I’m Spanish, so I always hope for summers to last longer than they do in the UK!

Hope you like it! Sew you later!

Pattern drafting adventures

Hello everyone!

How are you all?

One of my sewing goals for this year was to learn the basics of pattern drafting. I enjoy making fairly simple clothes with small design variations that result in very different looking pieces. Last year I worked on getting a nicely fitting sleeveless bodice, and this year I have been experimenting with pattern drafting.

Earlier in the year I took some online workshops by Project Patterns to learn the basic of bodice modifications – as well as how to draft some other bodices that I will eventually make. I have also been watching The Closet Historian for so long I was finally ready to attempt the all-in-one sleeve bodice.

For this bodice I followed Bianca’s tutorial to go from my two-dart bodice to this one. I wanted to try adding these pockets by Vera Venus to my pencil skirt. Everything is better with pockets. Since my pencil skirt pattern has two waist darts, I moved them into the side seam to have a seamless front – I can show the process if anyone is interested. I then used the pattern pieces for the pockets and merged them to my new dartless front. I made no modifications to the back of the skirt.

I made this dress as a mock up for the pattern using some scrap fabric I had from other projects, but I love the result and I have worn it loads already, it is such a comfortable dress! I wouldn’t use bias binding to hem the sleeves, as the weight of the bias was heavier than the fabric and it sticks out a bit, but it was just a mock up and I couldn’t be bothered to fix it.

I have already modified this pattern further to make three different dresses, I hope to be sharing them soon!

Sew you later!